Living Fit, Loving Life, Having Fun. That’s what the Reston Youth Triathlon is all about, so come on……….. let’s all Be AMYazing!
The Be AMYazing! Reston Youth Triathlon was founded by youth, for youth and is now entering its eighth successful year. It is a unique student-inspired, student-led event coordinated by Amy’s Amigos in conjunction with The Core Foundation.
Amy’s Amigos was founded in 2008 and quickly grew to a large group of 12-year olds who offered friendship and support for classmate, Amy Boyle, who was battling brain cancer. After Amy’s death from DIPG*; inspired by her spirit, athleticism, and love of life, Amy’s Amigos held the first Reston triathlon just for children in May 2011. Amy’s Amigos is currently a group of high school students who manage the event alongside many adult volunteers. To date, the triathlon has raised over $100,000 for The Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation (CBTF), to aid in research of pediatric brain tumors. Help us reach $115,000 in 2018!
WHY WE RAISE MONEY
Learn more about Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) and breakthroughs in research thanks in part to CBTF and RYT:
- Stanford Discoveries Offer First New Hope in Three Decades for Lethal Pediatric Brain Tumor
- Stanford Medical October 2011
- Stanford Medical February 2011
- NPR’s story on DIPG “Thoughts Can Fuel Some Deadly Brain Cancers”
- Interview with DIPG Neurologist Michelle Monje
MEET THE RACE DIRECTORS
CURRENT RACE DIRECTORS: Katie Becker, Jenna Hirshfeld, Elizabeth Shaw, Lindsey Hirshfeld
ASSORTED TV AND NEWS ARTICLES
- WUSA 9 Interview with founders and Diane Roberts May 2014
- Reston Connection Reston Youth Swim, Bike, Run May 2013
- South Lakes Sentinel “Be AMYazing Inspires Kids to Stay Fit & Fight Cancer” June 2012
- Reston Connection Article “In Memory of a Friend” December 2010
- South Lakes Sentinel “Always Amy’s Amigos” October 2010